CAROLINA BREWING COMPANY FIRST OPENED ITS DOORS IN 1995, MAKING IT THE OLDEST ACTIVE BREWERY IN WAKE COUNTY.
- 1992: Founders Greg Shuck, John Shuck and Joe Zonin lived in Seattle and home-brewed beer in their basement.
- 1993: Once they fine-tuned their beer recipes, they toured the Southeast looking for a new market to start a craft brewery. They chose Holly Springs, NC.
- July 3, 1995: The first kegs of flagship brand Carolina Pale Ale delivered to 42nd Street Oyster Bar in Raleigh. We marked this date as the brewery’s first “official” anniversary.
- Over the next 15 years, Carolina Pale Ale (CPA) becomes a staple in bars, restaurants, and grocery stores around the Triangle.
- 2011: Mark Heath and Van Smith–long-time fans of CBC and volunteer brewers–join the ranks as partners.
- 2015: Taproom opens to celebrate 20th Anniversary as Holly Springs’ Hometown Brewery.
- 2020: 25th Anniversary of the Brewery
- 2021: After 26 years of brewing excellence, the founders decide to pass the torch to the next generation of passionate beers lovers and Jason Howard, the new owner, purchases the brewery.
- 2021 & Beyond: Watch for changes at the Brewery including a re-styled outdoor seating area, new logo, and a switch from bottles to cans that will keep your beer fresher longer. Don’t worry- the beer will stay exactly the same- with perhaps new offerings and a larger IPA focus.